Picture of Would you say the workload is a lot? Also, how difficult is the programme for someone who has not worked with numbers?

Would you say the workload is a lot? Also, how difficult is the programme for someone who has not worked with numbers?

Picture of Daniel
1 response
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Anonymous asked a question to Daniel S.

Category: Role challenge

Date asked: Saturday, October 12, 2024

Last reviewed: Monday, October 14, 2024

Picture of Daniel S.

Daniel S.

Thank you for the questions - 1) In my experience, the managers were very aware that 'we' (external to HMRC) were entering the organisation with no experience and as trainees. I never felt as though the workload was ' a lot' - as I came from Teaching/recently completing a teaching degree, which I'd be spending most of my time at weekends marking and lesson planning. In contrast, at HMRC, my work could all be done in the contractual time. I never spent time outside of my working hours, unless it was for additional study nearer an exam. As trainees, there is support available to manage the workload and your time is yours to organise - if you're proactive and organised, the workload, in my experience, was never a problem. Generally, when I joined, the workload gradually increased. I started with training, given 'project' work (unrelated to HMRC - to settle into the team/working with others in your cohort), followed by case study work, then given 'live' case work. The programme was organised in a way that a typical week for me would be 1 day of tutorial, 1 day of self study, 3 days of office work. This was enough time to complete the work given to me, as well as having time to find my own 'opportunity' work. 2) I joined without any experience of working with numbers in a tax scenario. As long as you can pass the numeracy tests and get onto the course, working with numbers shouldn't be an issue. In my day to day work, I rely more on reading and interpreting legislation instead of work with numbers/complex calculations. Hope this helps/answers your questions. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Monday, October 14, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?