Picture of What support for personal development / training is provided?

What support for personal development / training is provided?

Picture of Mustafa
Picture of Sue
2 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Sue

Category: Career progression

Date asked: Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Last reviewed: Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Picture of Mustafa

Mustafa

Assistant Director, Compliance Strategy

This really varies because we have so many different types of roles but also individuals will arrive with different experience and set of skills. The good news is firstly, there is usually an element of expecting colleagues to develop in the role and this is done mostly on the job but conversations with your manager about what training you need will support this and secondly, the role will change over time as HMRC goes through a Transformation so there is continuous support and training to ensure your skills stay relevant and that you evolve to help the department meets its challenges.

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Picture of Sue

Sue

Business Engagement Co-ordinator

Everyone is encouraged to have a minimum 5 days training a year. This can be made up of a number of short courses (from half an hour upwards) or longer ones. In my current business area, and in previous areas, managers share details of upcoming events - we also have regular Performance Development Conversations where myself and my manager set personal and team goals and look for training/mentoring to achieve this. There is our internal HMRC training site and we also have access to the Civil Service training site. In some cases (depending on role there may also be external training courses - as a data analyst I attended courses run by The Operational Research Society). There are also various HMRC development and mentoring programmes that you can apply for.

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?