Picture of Can you tell me what your first year was like?

Can you tell me what your first year was like?

Best discussions & stories
Picture of Zoe
3 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Zoe

Category: Experience

Date asked: Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Last reviewed: Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Adrian S.

Head of Portfolio & Business Management - IT Department supporting our Customer Services Group

Hi - my first year is some time ago now (1982) so things are very different to what they were like then. We had no technology so were reliant on paper based products for everything. I remember everyone being so welcoming and friendly and would say that culture absolutely remains across HMRC today.

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Picture of Alan

Alan

Customer Compliance Manager

The first few weeks are like any job, had no clue where everything was or what I was supposed to be doing. But one thing did stick in my mind, everybody was so helpful and willing to answer the simplest of question. Once the formal training started I realised I would need to commit some serious time to this outside work and my manager was very flexible in helping me to work out a good work life balance. I soon realised that everybody was willing to provide any support I needed to enable me to make the job a success. This was both in supporting my training and work, but also with my disability. I had great support from my line manager and the HR team to obtain the best adjustments needed to enable me to work at my best. The year went so fast, but I realised how I had grown in both confidence and ability to apply the learning and actually contribute to the success of my team.

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Picture of Zoe

Zoe

Secretariat

I joined as a telephony advisor, so it was 6 weeks in training and then live on the phones with virtual support due to the buildings being closed at that time for covid-19. The training and support I received was adequate and I picked things up very quickly, I did know of colleagues receiving extra, tailored support as needed, so although the training delivery has a very set approach, the levels and types of support once in the role is personalised by your own manager. I received additional development opportunities very early on, due to having quickly become confident in the role I was able to provide support to new advisors. I also successfully applied for an "expression of interest" role which required a set number of hours per month outside of my main role, this was supporting on an equality and diversity initiative which provided further development opportunities. After 6 months in the role I was informed that I had passed probation and could apply for other roles. Using the development opportunities I had gained, and some previous experience, I secured my current role. Moving into a completely different side of the business so early on into my HMRC career felt daunting, but the team were so welcoming and I have been fully supported to learn about my own role, where we sit within our directorate and wider HMRC. I have taken every opportunity to get involved in extras for my own development, such as being a people awards judge which was another great way to learn about what goes on around the business. As a person from a lower socio economic background I have been accepted onto a mentoring scheme called Stride, which has linked me up with a great mentor. I've linked up with different networks such as the neurodiversity network which provides great support and information. The tax knowledge I gained in my initial role still often comes in handy when hearing policy discussions. All in all my first year here has been challenging, interesting, enlightening, I feel I have a great work-life balance, and I'm excited for where my career can go from here.

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?