Picture of How do you keep motivated in your career?

How do you keep motivated in your career?

1 response

Anonymous asked a question to HMRC

Category: Career progression

Date asked: Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Last reviewed: Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Ruth V.

Audit Functional Capability Lead

Thank you, that's an interesting question and it's caused me to reflect a little. Being motivated has never felt a challenge for me, and I've taken it for granted. I can recognise, now I think about it, that both pushing motivations ( I need to get this done, to manage the pressures on me, for the satisfaction of a job well done, or because it will aid someone else), and pulling motivations (oooh that's interesting, there's loads of potential, I want to get involved and support or influence, I can solve that problem/make that better) are something I have taken advantage of; the latter one is probably the biggest influence for me. It pulls you forward in your career, where the former supports and evidences your capability to move forwards. HMRC is a great organisation for variety and opportunity, and it also understand very well that it's people and their individual talents are a significant asset. My biggest motivator is probably helping people to achieve, so all of this mixes together and motivates me quite naturally, I think. That's not to say I've never had the occasional off day, when just plough on applies!

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?